Thursday, December 20, 2007
The final installment was Top 10 Rock Bands. Here's what they came up with.
9. Black Sabbath
7. The Clash
5. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
4. Pink Floyd
3. The Who
2. Led Zeppelin
1. Rolling Stones
Holy shit. Where are the Beatles? I get that a lot of people are going to put the Stones up top and Zeppelin and the Who and so on, but how can the Beatles be left out?
U2 is a better band than the Beatles? Pink Floyd is better than the Beatles? Really?
The only possible explanation is that VH1 couldn't get the rights to play a Beatles' video (yes, they did shoot short films for several of their singles -- a precursor to music videos) as part of the show, so they left them off the list. Otherwise, there's no justification.
A list, off the top of my head, of bands I'd place ahead of U2:
Well, obviously, the Beatles. The Velvet Underground; The Beach Boys; Buddy Holly and the Crickets; The Ramones; Talking Heads; The Cure; The Smiths; The Pixies; Joy Division; (what the heck) Nirvana; REM; Radiohead...
I'm not saying U2 is a crappy band by any stretch. To me, though, they're a little bit limited. Like Aerosmith. Or the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Capable of nice songs, but ultimately, the best thing they do can (and is) done better by other people.
Anyway, here's how the list would have looked had I been consulted:
10. The Pixies
9. The Ramones
8. Buddy Holly and the Crickets
7. The Clash
6. The Who
5. Led Zeppelin
4. The Velvet Underground
3. The Beach Boys
2. The Rolling Stones
1. The Beatles
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
1. Both of my pinkys are bent. They bow inwards. I've been told this is caused by a dominant gene, but I'm not sure about that.
2. The first piece of recorded music I recall owning was an 8-track of the "Rocky" soundtrack. I'm trying to think of ways this has affected my life, but no luck.
3. I'm a better than average basketball player. Were you to see me in person, that might come as a shock, given my build, but honestly, I'm not too bad.
4. My favorite number is 28. I've no idea why.
5. Never broken a bone. This is not an invitation to break something on me should you see me on the street.
6. "Little Drummer Boy" is my favorite Christmas song. There are many great recordings, but the Neil Diamond version is superior.
7. I'm a paralyzingly picky eater. The lists of fruits and veggies I'll eat is a short one:
- Green bean
That's about it. I'll eat carrots as well I guess. And asparagus and broccoli, but I've got to get myself mentally ready to do so. Of course, I'll eat things made from other veggies (spaghetti sauce for example), but, you know.
It kinda sucks being such a picky eater, truth be told. I'm no fun, for example, at an all-you-can-eat Asian buffet because I just keep going for the ribs and chicken.
My sincerest gratitude for the patience that has been shown by those who have been directly affected by my picky-ness.