Thursday, November 15, 2007

Top 10 Lists

I'm not an idiot. Okay, I am an idiot, but that's beside the point. Anyway, VH1 Classic (one of the great channels on expanded basic cable) is running a series of Top 10 countdowns in anticipation of the upcoming video game "Rock Band." I don't know what that video game is. It's probably like "Guitar Hero." Whatever.

So these lists name the Top 10 Frontmen, Guitarists, Bassists, Drummers, and Rock Bands. Obviously, any time there's such a list, there are an endless number of detractors and as much as I hate to add myself to the cacaphony, I can't help it.

I watched the Bassist Episode, and here's what they came up with:

10. Steve Harris, Iron Maiden
9. Geezer, Black Sabbath
8. Les Claypool, Primus
7. John Paul Jones, Led Zeppelin
6. Jack Bruce, Cream
5. Flea, Red Hot Chili Peppers
4. Paul McCartney, Wings
3. Geddy Lee, Rush
2. Chris Squire, Yes
1. John Entwistle, The Who

Where to begin...

First of all, they left Sting off the list. I'll give Entwistle props. Won't argue with his being #1. I'd put Les Claypool #2 because nobody should really be higher. Another leave-off for me is Eric Avery (Jane's Addiction, Deconstruction, Polar Bear). As much love as JA gets, the fact that nothing of theirs is listenable post-Avery indicates who wore the pants in that band. Flea is good, but has been severely overrated for damn near 20 years. McCartney is phenomenal, definitely deserves being there. Who else? Colin Greenwood from Radiohead. Bill Wyman from The Stones.

Here's what I'd argue listwise:

10. Eric Avery, Jane's Addiction
9. Bill Wyman, The Rolling Stones
8. Steve Harris, Iron Maiden
7. Sting, The Police
6. John Paul Jones, Led Zeppelin
5. Chris Squire, Yes
4. Geddy Lee, Rush
3. Paul McCartney, Wings
2. Les Claypool, Primus
1. John Entwistle, The Who

Hon. Mention: Colin Greenwood, Radiohead; Flea, Red Hot Chili Peppers; Billy Sheehan (?), Mr. Big --> in no particular order.

What do I know?

Anyway, the outrage will continue tomorrow, give or take. I can only imagine that their guitarist, drummer, etc. lists will be equally silly. I mean, come on! Who can do what Les Claypool does? And he sings, too, while he's doing it. Ridiculous.

No comments: